Friday, December 11, 2009

100 books in 2010-ish

I'm reading four books right now - Nora Roberts' latest in her wedding series, Lover Awakened - or maybe its Lover Unbound, I seem to have lost track, or perhaps interest, Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz and the Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Isles.

For those who know me, please pick your jaw up off the floor. I'm aware this is very much out of character. Up until this year I would never have started a new book (let alone four) before finishing the first one. And with the exception of Lover Whichever, the books I have on the go are written by some of my favorite authors. Add to that the new Steve Berry, the upcoming and highly anticipated James Rollins, and the mountain of To Be Read novels scattered throughout my house, and I've got far more books to read than I have available time.

Or perhaps more accurately, I've not given reading enough of my time.

I've forgotten what it feels like to be immersed in a book, fiction that make me forget the sometimes roller coaster that is life, and takes me to places I'd love to go, with people I wish were my neighbors and friends. I haven't fallen in love with a male character since Wrath, and that love affair ended the second I reacquainted myself with Roarke. And the last time I finished a book that truly gave me goosebumps was... Sadly, I have no idea.

It has nothing to do with quality. I simply haven't made time to read.

That's going to change in 2010 - in fact, it's going to change starting this weekend. Between now and January 1, 2011, I'm committing to 100 books. I recognize that's about two a week, but there was a time - not too long ago - that a couple novels every few days would have been a given rather than a challenge.

I miss evenings in front of the fireplace (albeit fake), curled up in the blanket my Nona made, reading a great book. I have four (ish) awesome books on the go - and I think I'll start with those. I'll use 2010 to get over my odd fear of new genres and new authors, and get back to what made me want to write in the first place. I'll remember how to take comfort in fiction and replace chocolate (yeah, I've been bad) with good stories.

To hold myself accountable, I'll list every book I read here. If I get ambitious (ha ha), I might even include a review.

The truth is, my "need" to read is as strong as my "need" to write. So as I proclaim 2010 as the year I start looking after my needs, reading and writing will top the list.

If you have any recommendations to throw my way, bring em on. I'd love to hear what's keeping you turning pages well into the night.

4 comments:

  1. Flood, by Stephen Baxter. I just finished it and it was awesome. Not normally my cup of teat all (he's a SciFi author), but this was interesting on a lot of levels.
    Also, just in case you haven't already read it, you MUST read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Changed my outlook on the world and writing.
    cait

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recommendations, sunshine. Thank you. I'll add both to my Christmas list <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Did I write cup of teat!? Good editing there... hope you're well. Let's get together sometime this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By "this year" I'm guessing you mean 2010, because 2009 is a write-off now. In any event, I miss you and would LOVE to see you SOON. Let's make it happen.

    ReplyDelete