Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Book 16 - Ceremony in Death

JD Robb always impresses me.

I've read many of the "In Death" books a couple of times, including Ceremony in Death. And each time, I'm reminded of how much I admire not only Nora Roberts' writing style, but also her ability to pump out so many great books a year. Never mind the annual "In Death" installment, but also her yearly romantic suspense novel or the latest in a romantic trilogy. (Sidenote: I love Nora's trilogies!)

If you don't know, the "In Death" books are futuristic mysteries featuring LAPD cop Eve Dallas and her handsome husband Roarke. In Ceremony in Death, Eve is faced with witches and satanists - and her ongoing personal demons. I love how effortlessly Roberts/Robb weaves in backstory while keeping the story's pace. In this book, the fifth in the series, Eve and Roarke's relationship continues to deepen, as does Eve's ability to handle all of the relationships in her life.

Although Eve is a cop, somehow the books never read like police procedurals. Amen.

To say much more would either ruin the plot, or confuse you if you've not read the first book in this series, Naked in Death. While each novel could stand on its own, I wouldn't recommend starting in the middle of the series. The character arc are executed with brilliance - but it's best to know from where the character started before seeing where he/she ends up.

I'll return to JD Robb again soon. I'm building up that library slowly while I soldier through another read. It's already March and I'm only on book 17 of my 100 Books in 2010 challenge. Thankfully, Karen's lent me a couple of gooders (yes, that is a technical word.) Now to fit it in with my crazy workout schedule. Oh, and writing, of course.

The Book In My Bag Today: The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

4 comments:

  1. Witches and Satanists?!?!? Why didn't you tell me?!?! Damn...now I want to read that book!! LOL!!

    Don't worry Dawn! I know you and you'll get it ALL done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm not totally convinced you'd love the book, but I'm giving it to you anyway. I can fill you in on back story :-)

    Thanks sweets. Love ya. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I read Guilty in Death and it was good! I actually liked it!! But I didn't know the order of the books, so i gave up...actually I think I still have Guilty in Death around here somewhere...in my rivers of books...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I didn't know you'd read that one. I have a few of them, actually. Not all of them, but enough to tide you over for a bit. Spines cracked but you're welcome to them. <3

    ReplyDelete