Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Motley Crue...and maybe some MJ


Maybe it it's because my Dad played the drums that 80s hair band drummers fascinated me more than the guitarists or lead singers. Yes, there was Rikki Rockett...but there was also MOTLEY CRUE's Tommy Lee. 

Jessica Bell and I have teamed up for the A-Z blogging challenge this year to talk about our musical muses - a band/artist or song that has inspired, or affected us in some way.

I'll be blunt: I loved Motley Crue.

But when I (mostly) grew out of my 80s hair bands phase, I kind of forgot about the band - well, except Tommy Lee, because while Vince Neil and the crew kind of faded into the backdrop, Tommy's wild antics continued. He even married Pamela Anderson. Crazy.

Every once in a while though, my Motley Crue obsession rears its 80s head. Like when my friend, Sue and I went to Las Vegas last year and on my list of Top 10 things to see was Vince Neil's tattoo parlor. I tried to convince myself it was only to buy a T-shirt for my highly-inked husband, but I was pretty bummed when the cashier told me I'd "just missed" seeing Neil by one day. (Though I hear he hasn't aged as well as, say, Jon Bon Jovi...)

Motley Crue have a number of awesome hard rock songs, including classics like Smoking in the Boys Room and Dr. Feelgood. But the song that brings out the most emotion in me is You're All I Need. Warning: the lyrics and the video are kind of intense.



Sad, no?

Also sad was the loss of Michael Jackson, another "M" musician fave. Weird publicity antics aside, Michael was a musical genius. Beat It was the first song I played on my first-ever tape deck. Yeah, Mike and I go way back.



Which "M" musician works for you - Michael, Motley...or would you prefer to sit on the eclectic fence with me?

Now, go check out some of the other blogs taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge, including my Dawn Dalton blog where I'm talking about awesome YA books, and the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where Judith and I are writing poems and talking smack about some creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

15 comments:

  1. "Thriller" was one of the first albums I ever had - given to me, copied onto a tape, from my sister's boyfriend. Billy Joel was on the other side. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I also loved Billy Joel back then! Sometimes I still sing Uptown Girl in the shower :-)

      Delete
  2. I liked Motley Crew's music...but not the band. I wasn't a fan of the whole "hair" band craze! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DL - I think it was a girl thing (the whole hair part) - many of my guy friends admit to enjoying the music...if they closed their eyes during the video :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beat it was the first video clip I ever remember wanting to watch over and over again! :o) Motley Crew, huh? Wow. When you told me you were going 80s I was expecting orange hair and blue eye shadow, not 80s metal heads! LOL. Noice :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Yeah, a few blue eye shadow groups for sure, but mostly 80s metal heads.

      Delete
  5. Micheal Jackson was incredibly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely some MJ! His classic tunes can sure get the feet tapping!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Motley Crue over Jackson any day and any time. I've seen these guys in Texas and in Florida. I've actually met Tommy and he is really down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I have met many rockers in my life (admittedly, mostly in my rebellious youth), I have not met Tommy. I am jealous :-D

      Delete
  8. Honestly? I loved them both!! I love a lot of different music. Cool blog! Visiting from the A-Z challenge. :D

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. im a big fan of most of the bands on ur list! i went back to check out G though because Guns N Roses is one of my favorite...... alas, not there, but garbage good choice!
    great theme!
    jeremy

    ReplyDelete