Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Warrant


Jessica Bell and I have teamed up for the A-Z blogging challenge this year to talk about our musical muses - a band/artist or song that has inspired, or affected us in some way. 

And so my 80s hairband "theme" rocks on. Never mind the fact that "W" bands are hard to come by, practically all of the ones that had any impact on me would be considered glam rock. First up...and likely most importantly, WARRANT.


I saw this band play at a Calgary hotel, with opening act Danger Danger. Lead singer Jani Lane used to take up a small space in my locker collage...until I actually saw the band live and realized guitarist Jerry Dixon was more my type. Yikes. I kind of wonder where my head was back then.

My favorite Warrant song? Down Boys, of course.



But the "W" category would be sorely lost without these other two additions. Who the hell knew who Tawny Kitaen was before she appeared in this 1980s Whitesnake video, Here I Go Again.



Yeah, that's Tawny crawling all over the car. Again, not many Whitesnake songs I like, but that one ranks high on my list of 80s classics.

Not quite as high as this White Lion song, though.



My "this year" Idol pick Colton Dixon belted out a White Lion song early in the season. Not this particular one, but I'm okay with that. Any current rocker who can sing a White Lion song gets an A+ in my books. Bonus, Colton is easy on the eyes. Too bad America booted him off. The rockers never go all the way.


So...prefer WASP? What's your favorite tune by a "W" artist?

Now, go check out some of the other blogs taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge, including my Dawn Dalton blog where I'm talking about awesome YA books, and the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where Judith and I are writing poems and talking smack about some creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

5 comments:

  1. Whitesnake is the only name I know here. I think Wham is the only name I can come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy a couple of WHAM songs...not a bad "W" choice at all :-)

      Delete
  2. I've seen Warrant 3 times and Whitesnake twice. The last time I met the band and drank a few sudsy beverages with them for over an hour. Cool peeps.

    As for Colton, he was okay, but rarely is there a rocker that I like on American Idol. Others should have gone before Colton, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that WARRANT never really got big enough that you COULD hang out with them. Definitely cool peeps.

    You've not liked any Idol rockers? Not Daughtry? Not Adam? Hmmm...I agree Colton was not the strongest, but no, he dhousln't have gone home yet. And now, my female rocker is also gone :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will leave the 80's rock bands to you and take White Stripes, Weezer, and Wilco. :)

    ReplyDelete